Engines are fun

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. I’ve been really busy with schoolwork, plus an upcoming event that I’m helping to run on campus.

A few months ago I started working on a game engine in private. I never really got anywhere with it, but I did create a decent framework I could build on. In the past few weeks, I decided to pick it up again and actually get it to do something interesting.


The name of the engine is Wake, and it is still under heavily development. It is mostly meant as a learning experience for me, but I hope it will be of some use to others as well. It uses SFML for windowing and input and GLM for mathematics. Other libraries will be added in the future, especially ones for asset loading.

Wake’s architecture is fairly simple. It is made up of a few different manager classes (singletons), each of which deals with a subsystem of the engine. There’s the InputManager which handles input, GEngine which deals with the main loop and window management, the LogManager which handles logging, and the World which is, well, the game world.

Actors + Components

On the topic of the world, I took quite a bit of inspiration from Unreal Engine. I like their setup of Actors and Components. It seems to be a good compromise between the monolithic entity systems that can be found in Source engine and the everything is a component mentality of Unity.

If you don’t know what the actor/component system is, I’ll explain it. Actors take the place of monolithic entities. They are anything that can be placed in the world, and they can have their own logic. Everything you see in the world has to have an actor associated with it. Components are reusable classes that can be held by actors.

I’ll be posting more about Wake as I work on it. For now, go take a look at the repository on github!

Short update on Haunt

Hey there! I just wanted to post a quick update on Haunt. When I started the project, I hadn’t really looked at much of the horror genre in gaming. Now, however, I’ve been looking more and more at the genre and I’ve decided I want to go in a bit more of a unique direction with Haunt. Procedurally generated horror is great, but Haunt is hardly the first to go down this path. I want to be able to brand it with something unique, something to call it my own. I’m not going to say what my plans are at the moment, as I’m still working out details on where the project is going. What I’ve shown here will stay as it is, and the base concept of Haunt will stay the same. The flow of the game, however, is very likely to change. Sorry if I’m being cryptic, but I really want to try to keep things under wraps for now.

I have one other thing to add, which is that I will likely have a few people helping me with assets over the next few weeks. I’m really excited about this, especially since I’m hardly an artist. This hasn’t been finalized yet, but things are looking pretty good at the moment.

That’s all for now. Thanks for reading!